Sometimes when upgrading to a new version of any software you may run into problems. The following guide will walk you through the steps we take. This will insure you’re less likely to run into any errors and fewer headaches when upgrading to the latest version of CodeSmith.
How-to: Upgrade your existing install of CodeSmith.
- Close Visual Studio and CodeSmith.
- Uninstall the previous version of CodeSmith.
- Make sure you run windows updates and your computer is up-to-date.
- Download and install the newest version of CodeSmith, as this will ensure the smoothest possible process when upgrading to the latest version of CodeSmith.
How-to: Receive your new CodeSmith serial number.
- If you received an upgrade via voucher or Premier Support to the next version. Please go to the following website (http://www.codesmithtools.com/upgrade/) and follow the steps to receive your new CodeSmith serial number.
- If you need to purchase an upgrade and/or Premier Support. Please go to the following website (http://www.codesmithtools.com/upgrade/) and follow the steps to receive your new CodeSmith serial number.
- Once you get your serial number in your email inbox(this may be a few minutes). Open up CodeSmith and activate your new serial number.
Activation Issue: Trouble activating a trial license.
When you receive a trial key it will be for the latest version. One of the most common issues that I came across was people were trying to activate the previous version with a trial key from new newer version. There are a few ways you can go about resolving this issue. First when you request a trial, make sure you entering the key into the latest version. Below is an example of what the key will look like and what version of CodeSmith you should be entering it into.
CS50T can be entered into CodeSmith 5.x Professional or Standard.
If you run into any problems, always make sure you are using the latest version of CodeSmith that you’re licensed for. If you can’t find the download link on our site for the version you purchased, that means you’re on a previous version of CodeSmith. You can contact support for a direct link to the latest version (Please remember to tell them what version of CodeSmith you’re using). It is important to attach any relevant information when you contact support. The following will all work and will speed up the time it takes to process your request: screen shot of the problem, stack trace and/or error message.
Here is a link to a guide that will walk you through activating and deactivating CodeSmith.